The Press Conference
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Johan Santana!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
george h

Johan Santana! Empty
PostSubject: Johan Santana!   Johan Santana! EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 12:02 pm

There was a day in our lifetimes when Johan Santana was the #1 overall pick in AL fantasy drafts and maybe even in mixed leagues. I remember my first foray into mixed league play (2004) when I took a chance on Santana at the end of the second round (I had the first pick of the draft and took Pujols). Santana was used mostly as a RP the year before (’03), 27 games out of the pen and 18 GS to be exact. He ended at 12-3 with a 169/47 K/BB, 127 HA, and a 3.07/1.10 ERA/WHIP in 158 1/3 IP. Over the next 5 seasons (his last 4 in Minny and his first season with the Mets) Santana was the best pitcher in baseball. During that time of prosperity, Santana averaged 229 IP, 17 W, a 238/52 K/BB, and 182 HA. His ERA/WHIP over that time was 2.82/1.02. But then injuries hit, slowly at first, but then a debilitating shoulder injury in 2010 and subsequent surgery caused Santana to miss the whole 2011 season. This was in spite of rumors that he would be back at some point during the season. I’m not even sure how much he can be counted on for 2012. I would say it’s a good idea for the Mets to get something for him. The team may not contend again in my lifetime. The problems are he would have to prove to be somewhat healthy and there’s a little matter of money. Santana signed a 6 yr/$137.5-mil deal which runs through 2013. Never mind the 2014 team option which will probably be denied. So, yes, the Mets might be able to get a small parcel for Santana but would have to pick up salary, and lots of it, in the process. We’ll just have to see how spring training plays out before making any proclamations on any future venue for Santana.
Back to top Go down
Stork

Johan Santana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Johan Santana!   Johan Santana! EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 12:24 pm

Absolutely they should trade him if he proves healthy. With the Mets on their 5 year last place plan, Santana will be retired the next time the Mets contend.
Back to top Go down

Johan Santana!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Press Conference :: Baseball :: MLB-
Jump to: