The Press Conference
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Yankees DH!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
fatguy

The Yankees DH! Empty
PostSubject: The Yankees DH!   The Yankees DH! EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 12:52 pm

Now that the yankees have traded Jesus Montero, there is a bit of a void at the DH position. A team source said that the Yankees have contacted Johnny Damon about their opening at DH, the New York Post reports. Damon is clearly on a player on the decline, but still managed to hit .261 with 16 homers, 73 RBI, and 19 steals for the Rays in 2011. He'd likely take a significant cut from the $5.25 million he made last year with Tampa Bay. Reports are the Yankees only have between $1 MM and $2 MM to spend on a DH which probably leaves Carlos Pena out. The Yankees could also take a look at former Bomber World Series MVP in Hideki Matsui who always had a good swing for that right field porch.
Back to top Go down
george h

The Yankees DH! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Yankees DH!   The Yankees DH! EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 5:17 pm

Johnny Damon is a numbers compiler's dream. His career high of 24 HR was reached twice in a Yankees' uniform (2006, 2009) and he averaged 19 HR/yr in his 4 seasons there. He's 2723 for 9529 over his long and steady career with 854 XBH, a .286 BA, a .789 OPS, 1120 RBI, 1643 R, and a 1230/986 K/BB. As you know, Damon needs 277 H for 3000 and it would be nice if he got that milestone in a Yankee uniform. He's the only guy in history, I believe, to have played in at least 140 games for 16 straight seasons, a testimony to his health. And, as you guys say, he's a good guy in the clubhouse. I don't see the Yankees and Posada participating in a bittersweet reunion. That I would give a 2 or 3% chance of happening. Matsui could be an answer and may take the $2-mil to return. He does have a swing made for the RF porch and could probably stay healthy enough for 120 games or so while others man the DH spot. Carlos Pena will probably fine more largess with another team where he could DH and play 1B. Other guys out there are RH hitters Manny Ramirez (who will have to sit a league mandated 50 games), Vladimir Guerrero, former Yankees Xavier Nady and Marcus Thames, Magglio Ordonez, and Conor Jackson. LH hitters out there include Russell Branyan, Ross Gload, Brad Hawpe, and Casey Kotchman. Milton Bradley is still out there too, but if the Yankees were to sign that bum, I would switch allegiance and root for the Mets. I also wonder about Prince Fielder but that's a story for another post.
Back to top Go down

The Yankees DH!
Page 1 of 1