The Press Conference
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ryan Madson, a one year deal?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
george h

Ryan Madson, a one year deal? Empty
PostSubject: Ryan Madson, a one year deal?   Ryan Madson, a one year deal? EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 11:55 am

I almost fell of my seat when I read this earlier today. But thanks to uncanny athletic ability, I was able to maintain my balance. Ryan Madson's one-year deal with the Reds is worth $8.5 million guaranteed. Yes, the Reds signed Madson to presumably be their closer. The domino effect of this pushes LHP Sean Marshall to a set-up role and Aroldis Chapman looks to be moved to the starting rotation. But isn’t this the same guy that nearly signed a 4 yr/$44-mil deal with the Phillies back in November? Also, I think this hints towards a loss of influence for Scott Boras, who has been notorious over the years for getting his clients signed to monster contracts. This year, Madson settled for curiously less than expected, and Prince Fielder is still a free agent, despite being the 2nd best player on the market. What's your take? Am I crazy for thinking the Reds got a great deal here, and maybe Boras is losing his touch? As good as Jon Papelbon is (4 yr/$50-mil), the Phillies must be asking themselves why they didn’t wait? Last year Madson had 32 SV (2 BS) with a 2.37/1.15 ERA/WHIP, 54 HA, and a 62/16 K/BB in 60 2/3 IP. In a weird way, I enjoy watching one of Boras’ clients taking a bath on the money because of greed! Both in money and years.
Back to top Go down
fatguy

Ryan Madson, a one year deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ryan Madson, a one year deal?   Ryan Madson, a one year deal? EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 12:02 pm

I would agree that other Boras' clients such as Edwin Jackson and Prince Fielder will suffer because of the short term deal signed by Madson. But he took what he could get, probably the only closers job left. Francisco Cordero is now left out in the cold because if his demands came down, he would be the closer for the Reds once again in 2012. Cordero just came off a 4 year $48M deal with Cincy. But his velocity and, especially the K's, dropped off a cliff in 2011. Boras referred to Madson's deal with Cincinnati as a "pillow contract" -- a comfortable place for a player to spend one season -- before he goes back on the open market. Boras compared it to the one-year, $4.25 million deal that pitcher Kyle Lohse signed with St. Louis in March of 2008. Lohse put together a solid season last year but is virtually untradeable unless the Cards take on a bad contract or eat a lot of salary.
Back to top Go down

Ryan Madson, a one year deal?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Press Conference :: Baseball :: MLB-
Jump to: